Theme: Science as a Human Endeavour
Levels: 5 & 6
Students will work through a variety of procedures similar to a forensic scientist. They will interpret their recorded data and develop an understanding of how evidence is used to solve a crime.
- Discuss the many roles scientists and technology play in crime investigation.
- Examine the crime scene set up in your classroom.
- Identify key clues.
- Discuss physical characteristics of 4 suspects in relation to profiling.
- Perform chemical tests to identify a variety of powders.
- Use chromatography to test inks from writing samples and pens found on suspects.
- Match actual footprints found at the crime scene to soles of shoes.
- Observe and match DNA samples.
- Create a set of individual fingerprints and examine patterns.
- Debate the validity of the evidence against the 4 suspects present.
Other Science as a Human Endeavour Incursions
Other Levels 5 & 6 Incursions
- Inventions: Sustainability (Levels 3 – 6)
- Solids, Liquids & Gases (Levels 5 & 6)
- Reactive Chemistry (Levels 5 & 6)
- Light (Levels 5 & 6)
- Electricity (Levels 5 & 6)
- Earth in Space (Levels 5 & 6)
- Natural Disasters (Levels 5 & 6)
- Living Things & the Environment (Levels 5 & 6)
- Simple Machines (Levels 3 – 6)
- Engineering (Levels 5 & 6)
- Energy (Levels 5 & 6)
- Christmas SciTech (All levels)