Theme: Design & Technology – Engineering
A creative and entertaining way to end the year. Experiments incorporate technology and physical sciences.
- Team challenge – build a Christmas tree with plastic cups.
- Observe a number of Christmas toys, gimmicks and decorations and discuss the materials used to make them and senses used to enjoy them.
- Make a number of “take home” items (time/level dependent).
- Paper pivot puppet – explore various ways to move the legs use human energy, gravity and magnetism. (F-2)
- Christmas Tree thaumatrope – trick your eyes. (F-2)
- Paper climbing puppet – explore movement in relation to friction, tension, gravity, and technique. (3-6)
- Christmas tree and star – explore static electricity. (3-6)
- Rubber band motor – complete a design challenge to make a moving Christmas gimmick. (3-6)
- Rubber powered jumping frog – investigate different ways to make it jump. (F-6)
- Biodegradable Christmas decorations – explore different ways to mix gelatine to make “plastic”. (F-6)
- Observe balancing Christmas gimmicks and practice balancing a variety of simple items.
- Be inspired to make Christmas toys and gimmicks.
Other Design & Technology: Engineering Incursions
- Science & Technology of Toys (Foundation – 2)
- Transport (Foundation – 2)
- Simple Machines (Levels 3 – 6)
- Puppets (Levels 3 & 4)
- Engineering (Levels 5 & 6)
- Energy (Levels 5 & 6)