Theme: Science – Chemical Sciences
Students will observe, test and classify different materials. They will link the properties of materials with their use.
- Discuss prior knowledge of “materials” and different types of materials.
- Predict and test materials that will be attracted to a magnet.
- Predict and test materials that will allow a magnet to work through it.
- Examine a variety of balls and discuss the “bounciness” of each material.
- Explore the effect of water on different materials.
- Explore sinking and floating of various materials.
Victorian Curriculum: Content Descriptions
- People use science in their daily lives. (VCSSU041)
- Respond to and pose questions, and make predictions about familiar objects and events. (VCSIS050)
- Participate in guided investigations, including making observations using the senses, to explore and answer questions. (VCSIS051)
- Use informal measurements in the collection and recording of observations. (VCSIS053)
- Compare observations and predictions with those of others.(VCSIS054)
- Represent and communicate observations and ideas about changes in objects and events in a variety of ways. (VCSIS055)
“Marilyn was great! She used age appropriate language, encouraged discussion amongst the group, gave clear instructions and was involved with each group during the small activities.” Carey Baptist Grammar
“The incursion was the perfect introduction to our unit on materials and linked with the Australian Curriculum perfectly. The students had a wonderful time and learned so much.” Hume Anglican Grammar