Theme: Science – Earth and Space Sciences
Level: 5 & 6
Students will use models and experiments to investigate how sudden geological changes and extreme weather can affect the earth’s surface.
- Discuss prior knowledge of natural disasters and the variables that affect their unpredictability.
- Investigate a model of the water cycle.
- Predict and explore the position and movement of ice and cold water in warmer water.
- Model the spinning of the earth and tornadoes.
- Observe and discuss a demonstration of a hot air balloon and relate to air movement.
- Explore the effect of extreme weather on the landscape.
- Use a simple seismograph to produce a visual representation of an earthquake.
- Explore the sudden changes in force occurring at the junction of tectonic plates.
- Model volcanic activity on land and under water.
Victorian Curriculum: Content Descriptions
- Sudden geological changes or extreme weather conditions can affect Earth’s surface (VCSSU079)
- Scientific understandings, discoveries and inventions are used to inform personal and community decisions and to solve problems that directly affect people’s lives (VCSSU073)
- With guidance, pose questions to clarify practical problems or inform a scientific investigation, and predict what the findings of an investigation might be based on previous experiences or general rules (VCSIS082)
- With guidance, plan appropriate investigation types to answer questions or solve problems and use equipment, technologies and materials safely, identifying potential risks (VCSIS083)
- Decide which variables should be changed, measured and controlled in fair tests and accurately observe, measure and record data (VCSIS084)
- Construct and use a range of representations, including tables and graphs, to record, represent and describe observations, patterns or relationships in data (VCSIS085)
- Compare data with predictions and use as evidence in developing explanations (VCSIS086)
- Suggest improvements to the methods used to investigate a question or solve a problem (VCSIS087)
- Communicate ideas and processes using evidence to develop explanations of events and phenomena and to identify simple cause-and-effect relationships (VCSIS088)
“Charlie was very knowledgeable and was able to answer questions from the students confidently.” Fintona Girls School
“Presenter was well prepared and organised. Great rapport with students.Thank you Rose.” Springside P-12