Theme: Science – Earth and Space Sciences
Level: 3 & 4
Students will explore the natural processes of weathering and erosion as well as human impacts that change the landscape.
- Discuss prior knowledge of natural and human forces that change the landscape.
- Explore the ‘rock cycle’ and classify samples of sedimentary, igneous and metamorphic rocks.
- Investigate weathering caused by physical actions such as sand blasting and ice expansion.
- Observe the effects of chemical weathering.
- Investigate wind and water erosion and deposition of sediments.
- Investigate water absorption by different types of soils.
- Link the effects of different human activities on the earth’s surface such as logging, mining and urbanisation.
Victorian Curriculum: Content Descriptions
- Earth’s surface changes over time as a result of natural processes and human activity (VCSSU062)
- Science knowledge helps people to understand the effects of their actions (VCSSU056)
- With guidance, identify questions in familiar contexts that can be investigated scientifically and predict what might happen based on prior knowledge (VCSIS065)
- Suggest ways to plan and conduct investigations to find answers to questions including consideration of the elements of fair tests (VCSIS066)
- Safely use appropriate materials, tools, equipment and technologies (VCSIS067)
- Use formal measurements in the collection and recording of observations (VCSIS068)
- Use a range of methods including tables and column graphs to represent data and to identify patterns and trends (VCSIS069)
- Compare results with predictions, suggesting possible reasons for findings (VCSIS070)
- Reflect on an investigation, including whether a test was fair or not (VCSIS071)
- Represent and communicate observations, ideas and findings to show patterns and relationships using formal and informal scientific language (VCSIS072)
“The presenter was absolutely wonderful. All of my students were engaged and have been able to retain a lot of information from the session.” Valkstone Primary School
“I thought Angela presented the content in an engaging manner. The hands on activities were interesting and the students enjoyed being involved.” Ivanhoe Girls Grammar