Theme: Design & Technology – Engineering
Level: 3 & 4
Students will explore design technologies used in different types of puppets. They will investigate how forces and the properties of materials affect the behaviour of a puppet.
- Identify puppets from the past and present.
- Examine a variety of puppets to identify how forces and materials are used in the design of a puppet.
- Investigate how puppets work: push and pull forces, how they are joined and what type of machines are used in their construction (e.g. levers and pivots).
- Discuss the purpose of a puppet.
- Identify materials that are suitable for movement and for stability.
- Test how a lever works.
- Test how a pivot can be used to do a number of movements.
- Observe how recycled materials can be used.
- Be inspired to design puppets and other recycled contraptions.
Make two different types of puppets that use levers and pivots.
- Forces can be exerted by one object on another through direct contact or from a distance (VCSSU064)
Design & Technology
- Investigate how forces and the properties of materials affect the behaviour of a designed solution (VCDSTC024)
- Investigate the suitability of materials, systems, components, tools and equipment for a range of purposes (VCDSTC027)
“Very good. Would have booked it using smaller classes next time so all student could have more time with the instructor.” Karoo Primary School