Theme: Design & Technology – Materials
Level: 1 & 2
Students will explore design technologies used in different types of musical instruments. They will investigate how forces and the properties of materials affect the behaviour of an instrument.
- Discuss prior knowledge of sound and music.
- Observe a variety of old and new musical instruments.
- Identify materials that make sound.
- Investigate the properties of sound.
- Observe a slinky as a model which shows the movement of sound.
- Use tuning forks to investigate sound vibration.
- Test different rubber bands for pitch.
- Test and see which are the most appropriate materials for musical use.
- Classify and test a number of musical instruments, depending on the way they are used.
- Make a simple trombone instrument.
- Test a device that changes the human voice.
Other Design & Technology: Materials Incursions
Other Level 1 & 2 Incursions
- Chemical Change (Foundation – 2)
- Materials & Mixing (Levels 1 & 2)
- Bubble Chemistry (Foundation – 2)
- How Objects Move (Foundation – 2)
- Light & Sound (Levels 1 & 2)
- Weather (Foundation – 2)
- Water as a Resource (Level 2)
- Minibeasts (Foundation – 2)
- Life Cycles (Foundation – 4)
- Science & Technology of Toys (Foundation – 2)
- Transport (Foundation – 2)
- Building & Construction (Foundation – 4)
- Bubble Technology (Foundation – 2)