Life Cycles Incursion (P – 4)
Life Cycles Incursion (P – 4)
Theme: Science – Biological Sciences
Level: Prep – 4
In this lively 90-minute incursion, students explore the life cycles of plants and animals to learn more about how they develop over their life cycle. Through various hands-on activities, students gain a deeper understanding of the differences between living and nonliving things. They have the opportunity to set up their own mini-greenhouses and are introduced to living insects. These activities are the perfect way to introduce biological studies to younger year levels. Our passionate science educators carefully guide students through each activity, prompting students to predict, observe and reflect on each activity.
- Students explore the life cycles of plants and animals.
- Students set up a variety of mini-greenhouses to further explore growth and change over time.
- Discussing the differences between living and nonliving things.
- Sorting various objects into living and nonliving categories.
- Modelling plant and animal life cycles.
- Exploring flower pollination and the role bees play in it.
- Classifying seeds based on different methods of seed dispersal.
- Making several mini green houses to observe how different species emerge from their seeds – ongoing experiment.
- Exploring the life cycles of mealworms.
- Studying the lifecycle of a butterfly and creating their very own butterfly life cycle chart.
Victorian Curriculum: Content Descriptions
- P-2 Living things have a variety of external features and live in different places where their basic needs, including food, water and shelter, are met (VCSSU042).
- P-2 Living things grow, change and have offspring similar to themselves (VCSSU043).
- 3-4 Living things can be grouped on the basis of observable features and can be distinguished from non-living things (VCSSU057).
- 3-4 Different living things have different life cycles and depend on each other and the environment to survive (VCSSU058).
Up to 30 students
A minimum booking of 2 x 90-minute workshops is required
Outer regions incur time and travel costs
Book one of our engaging school incursions today!
Explore our fantastic range of school incursions run
by our passionate science educators.
“We were the last session for the day and Lynne was still very enthusiastic. The kids were excited and eager to participate. The session was well organised and there was a mix of hands on and demonstration which helped settle the kids. The bubble activities were great and it was so good to see the kids work well together, ask questions and try different solutions to their problems.”
Berwick Lodge Primary School
“Thank you for a wonderful time. The students were extremely engaged and enjoyed the hands on activities. Olivia has a very calm nature which our students responded very well to. All the teachers from our school agree that the incursion was fantastic. Thank you again!”